(ARA) – The fall brings beautiful new scents and sounds with crisp air, vibrant colors of leaves gently falling to the ground, crackling wood popping on campfires and the sweet smell of apples hovering in the kitchen.
To get the most enjoyment out of the fall months this year, venture out with your family and friends to enjoy some of these scents and sounds:
* Apple and pumpkin picking. Apple trees are heavily laden with crisp and delicious apples this time of year. Head out to an orchard to pluck the perfectly grown fruits off trees bearing your favorite variety of apples. Or take your children on a ride to a pumpkin farm. Let them run through the patch, inspecting every pumpkin for the perfect carving medium. Tall and skinny for a witch’s face or round and plump for more of a clown face.
* Celebrate your favorite sport, family activity or just tailgate at any outdoor setting with finger foods that are quick cooking and easy-to-pack. Save on the utensils and use Old London Melba Snacks as the key ingredient to add any topper or perfect scoop for dip.
* Participate in a good cause. Fall is an excellent time to direct your energies and donations toward nonprofit organizations and charities. For example, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and you can participate in a fundraiser for any breast cancer organization or donate funds during this special month. Old London is helping to find a cure by donating $0.75 to Breast Cancer research for each proof of purchase from any Old London product received through Feb. 6, 2012. Enter the UPC at oldlondonfoods.com.
* Get lost in a corn maze. Fall is the perfect time for long walks because temperatures aren’t overbearingly hot and the humidity levels are much more tolerable. Dress appropriately for the cooler weather and see what fun you can have getting lost in a corn maze, or while taking an autumn nature hike.
* Feed the autumnal appetite. All of fall’s exciting activities will leave members of your family feeling voracious. Satisfy their hunger – and create a delicious smell in your house – with a fall favorite of Apple Pan Strudel with Dried Cherry Puree, which brings together classic fall flavors and spices in one delicious dessert.
Apple Pan Strudel with Dried Cherry Puree
For cherry puree
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (clear cherry brandy)
For pan strudel
- 3 cups 100 percent apple juice
- 1 box of Old London Melba Toast Salt Free Whole Grain
- 2 pounds various apple varieties (such as Braeburn, Granny Smith and Fuji), peeled, cored, sliced thin in a food processor
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
For cherry puree
Combine cherries and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then simmer two minutes. Stir in kirsch (clear cherry brandy). Cool to lukewarm and puree in a blender.
For pan Strudel
In a small bowl, mix sugar and spices, set aside. Mix apple and lemon juice in medium bowl. Add sugar spice mixture and toss to coat. Lay the Melba Toast in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and pour two cups of apple juice over each toast, allowing toasts to soak up the juice. In a separate 8×8 pan, cover the pan with a thin layer of apples. Using a spatula, lift the toast from the cookie sheet and place a single layer over the apples in the 8×8 pan. Repeat until layering process until done. Finish by spreading cherry puree over apples. Cover with one cup of apple juice poured evenly over finished pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Garnish with light whipped cream if desired.
The fall months are a perfect time to enjoy spending time with family and getting outside to enjoy the final warm days of the year. For additional recipes, visit Old London on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OldLondonFoods.